Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Red, Red Wine

Disclaimer: if you don't believe in hunting, you'd better turn away now. Maybe watch this video instead.

Recently I was contacted by BzzAgent, and offered a free bottle of wine to review. Hello, I'm not going to turn down free wine!! The wine was from Concannon Vineyard, and I could choose any variety from their Select or Conservancy tier. I chose the Cabernet Sauvignon from their select tier. I'm a red wine drinker through and through, even in the summer. Yummmm!


This picture makes me want a glass right now. Which made me think of this E-card I saw the other day:

Funny Workplace Ecard: It's not drinking on the job if you weren't planning to do any work.
appropriate. right?
This wine is soooo good. A really nice, full bodied flavor. And nice and dry, just like I like it. I don't like my wine to taste too much like juice. 

So that night, while drinking my first glass, I was brainstorming what I wanted to make for dinner to have with it. The flavor is so dark and woodsy, it reminded me of Fall. Sidebar: I have been thinking about Fall an awful lot lately. On one hand, it freaks me out because I don't want summer to be over yet, but on the other hand I am super excited because Fall is my hands-down favorite season! I am so torn!

Anyway, back on track. Thinking about Fall reminded me that we had a freezer full of venison, thanks to this little guy: 
RIP Bambi
I just knew that a yummy venison loin would go so great with the spicy, woodsy Cab Sav. Here's how I made it: This would be a great marinade for beef too, or any other type of game.

Combine in a resealable container such as a Ziploc bag or a Tupperware:
these measurements are really more like guestimates
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. honey, molasses or agave
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
onion powder
Salt & pepper
paprika
cayenne pepper
chili powder
lots of rosemary
thyme

I mixed that all up, threw in the venison and let it sit in the fridge for a good 4 hours or so.

Once Jeffry got home, I preheated the broiler and threw that puppy on. This would be really yummy grilled too, but our hose that connects the propane tank to the grill was chewed by something and we have yet to get a new one. So broiling it is. I love broiling meat over pan frying. It's super simple and meat always comes out super juicy and the perfect temp. This loin was on the smaller side, so it was broiled for about 8 minutes on 1 side and 5 on the other.

I mean, c'mon. Check out that perfect medium.
*toot toot*
Once any kind of meat is cooked, but before you slice it, it's got to rest to let the juices redistribute. So while the meat was resting, I steamed some broccoli, and made these potatoes. I will definately be making these again they were perfect! Crispy and buttery on top, and soft yummy potato underneath. I am craving one right now.


And there you have it! Yummy dinner of venison backstrap, complete with Concannon Select Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon. Okay, and now I'm hungry.....




No comments:

Post a Comment